Are you a freelancer who want to move up?
Do these exercises online, in public. Blog them or put them on Facebook. Speak up. Speak out.
1. What do you want to do? (Not your job, but your work, now, tomorrow, and in the future)*
*If you’re having trouble answering this. you’re going to have trouble moving up because you’ve abdicated your dream to whoever walks in the door next.
2. Who do you want to change, and how do you want to change them?
3. How much risk? (from 1 [a little] to 10 [bet everything]), how much are you willing to put at stake to make the change you seek?
4. How much work are you willing to do to get there? Be specific about the tradeoffs.
5. Does this project matter enough for the risk and the effort you’re putting into it?
6. Is it possible — has anyone with your resources ever pulled off anything like this?
I hope this helps you to move up!
And when in doubt remember these words: “I’m no longer quite sure what the question is, but I do know that the answer is Yes.” ― Leonard Bernstein
In the next blog post, you can find my own answers.
[This is an assignment from a course by Seth Godin for freelancers who want to move up. With his consent, feel free to duplicate and share. Thanks Seth!]